From November 1935:
Reports were published that Miss Harlow declared a dislike for Gable, and that she openly stated she would never appear in another picture with him. Other printed items vouched that Clark replied: “My pet name for Miss Harlow cannot be printed.”
On the day those mis-facts appeared in print, Miss Harlow hurried to her studio publicity director to deny them. She arrived just at the moment when Gable telephoned from his sick-bed to voice and equally vehement denial.
The truth is that Clark remarked that he preferred not to work with “a certain star.” Because he had just finished “Hold Your Man” with Jean, gossipers drew their own conclusions that Miss Harlow was the “certain star.”
Soon after the picture was finished, Gable was confined to his bed. Jean and friends transported a motion picture projection machine to his home and ran “Hold Your Man” for his entertainment.
Says Miss Harlow: “Clark is a grand fellow and we are the best of friends.”
Says Clark Gable: “Jean is a regular. I’d like to work in every picture she makes.”
Welcome to Dear Mr. Gable, the site that celebrates The King of Hollywood, Clark Gable.
Subscribe for e-mail updates
- Gone with the Wednesday: Repost–A New Ending for Gone with the Wind
- Nutshell Reviews: Command Decision (1948) and Any Number Can Play (1949)
- Nutshell Reviews: Adventure (1945), The Hucksters (1947) and Homecoming (1948)
- Nutshell Reviews: Honky Tonk (1941) and Somewhere I’ll Find You (1942)
- Gossip Friday: Gable and Cagney, Up-and-Comers
The Gable Gallery
What I’m Reading and Watching
Disclaimer© 2009-2014 Dear Mr. Gable | dearmrgable.com, all rights reserved. This site was created for educational purposes and is in no way affiliated with the family or estate of Clark Gable. No copyright infringement is intended.
- Article Archive
- What I’ve Been Reading and Watching
- Radio Shows Index
- Miscellaneous Radio Appearances
- The Silver Theater
- March of Dimes
- Mail Call
- Good News
- The Gulf Screen Guild Theater
- Lux Radio Theater
- The Chase and Sanborn Hour
- Greek War Relief Benefit
- Command Performance
- What I’ve Been Reading and Watching 2014